You will find all the answers by looking around you in the churchyard and in Daphne’s Field.
- Enter the churchyard from the lychgate – on the slope in front of you is a large memorial tomb with decorated arches. Find the surname of the family whose members are buried here.
- How could the people of Ovingdean coming to church tell the time in olden days?
- In the church porch find a war memorial on the wall. How many people from this parish died in the war 1939-45?
- Walk round the church and look upwards – what can you see high above that is gold and tells us about the weather.
- Near the porch find an archway in the churchyard wall. When was the money box in the wall given and who by?
- Continue round past the church door and up the first steps. Look for the grave of Magnus Volk. What was he famous for?
- Find a tombstone with a white marble angel and a cross. What is the word below the angel?
- Continue to the upper churchyard. Find a big bench seat surrounded by a large curved memorial wall. Look by one of the urns. Who “spent her life in the service of others”
- Walk up to the top of the churchyard and turn left into Daphne’s Field. At the top of the field is a metal fence with a gate with a sign about animals – what is this for?
- Walk down to the middle of the field – what is the strip of newly dug earth for?
Click here for Answers: